The process is moving along quickly. The Global Poker Index (GPI) recently announced the date for the 4th Annual Global Poker Awards as March 5. As in the past, GPI and The Hendon Mob (THM) will present the awards, along with PokerGO, at the PokerGO Studio in Las Vegas.
There was a preview of the awards categories, but now the GPI revealed all of 29 awards.
While there may be an addition to the list of categories, the GPI fully expects this list to be final.
It includes the previously-announced 2022 Players of the Year: Stephen Song for POY and Mid-Major POY awards and Cherish Andrews for Female POY. Those were determined by the Global Poker Index points rankings tracked continuously throughout each year.
It will also include the PokerGO Tour (PGT) Player of the Year. Jason Koon took down the winner-take-all PGT Championship tournament in December, but the top points-earner for the 2022 PGT season was Stephen Chidwick.
The rest of the categories and voting processes will be as follows:
- Fans’ Choice for Poker Personality (public voting)
- Fans’ Choice for Best Trophy (voting panel followed by public voting on finalists)
- Fans’ Choice for Best Hand (voting panel followed by public voting on finalists)
- Fans’ Choice for Fave Live Stream (voting panel followed by public voting on finalists)
- Players’ Choice for Toughest Opponent (voting by top 100 GPI-ranked players as of Jan 4)
- GPI Breakout Player (voting panel)
- Best Comeback Player (voting panel)
- Best Media Content – Photo (voting panel)
- Best Media Content – Written (voting panel)
- Best Media Content – Video (voting panel)
- Best Final Table Performance (voting panel)
- Best Twitter Personality (voting panel)
- Best Industry Person (voting panel)
- Best Tournament Director (voting panel)
- Best Event (voting panel)
- Best Mid-Major Tour/Circuit (voting panel)
- Best Broadcaster (voting panel)
- Best Podcast (voting panel)
- Best Streamer (voting panel)
- Best Vlogger (voting panel)
- Rising Star in Content Creation (voting panel)
- GPI Award of Merit (GPI voting)
- The Hendon Mob Award (THM voting)
- Poker ICON (GPI/THM voting)
- Best Charitable Initiative (GPI/THM voting)
🌐♣️🏆 Categories Announced for 4th Annual Global Poker Awards
🔹 29 trophies expected to be presented
🗳️ Fans Choice Awards return
🔹 Exclusively on PokerGO®
ℹ️ https://t.co/lKzs6EF8sU pic.twitter.com/WiQ3KX5M7Y
— Global Poker Index (@gpi) January 23, 2023
The voting panel is currently working on the preliminary round, and the final round of voting will begin on January 29.
The GPI will announce all final nominees on Thursday, February 2. Some awards, however, such as the four categories requiring voting from the THM and GPI groups, will not announce any nominees. The winners only will be revealed at the March 5 ceremony.
Public Voting Open
For one category, the public voting process is now open for one of the categories. The People’s Choice Award for Poker Personality opened this week for write-in votes. The public is able to nominate anyone who they feel is the best ambassador for the game, one who makes a positive impact on poker.
The write-in portion of the voting will end on Wednesday, February 1. Anyone is welcome to vote on this GPI Awards page.
— Global Poker Index (@gpi) January 24, 2023
The second phase will begin the following day, with the public able to vote on the top four nominees, the ones that received the most write-in votes during the first phase. That voting will remain open until February 9.