The voting panel includes a range of poker industry people – players, media, executives – who narrow down various categories for the Global Poker Awards. From there, they participate in another round of voting to choose the winners.
There are also several categories of awards that depend upon public votes. The Global Poker Index (GPI) makes sure to provide an online space for the larger poker public to see the nominees and vote for their favorites.
Now is the time for the public to rock that vote.
Award Show Preparation
The Hendon Mob (THM) and GPI are in full preparation mode to get ready for the 4th Annual Global Poker Awards. It is set to happen on Friday, March 3. The host location will again be the PokerGO Studio at Aria on the Las Vegas Strip, so PokerGO has its own preparations to handle.
Meanwhile, there’s the little detail of determining the award winners.
There will be 29 trophies awarded, covering many parts of the poker community – from vlogs to news content, from tournament directors to favorite hands, and from charitable initiatives to the highest ranked players on the Global Poker Index. It will all go toward celebrating the best of 2022.
While much of the voting happens behind the scenes, there are four categories that require a place for the public to vote. That online space is now open.
The four categories of Fans’ Choice awards now open for voting are:
- Fans’ Choice for Poker Personality
- Fans’ Choice for Best Trophy
- Fans’ Choice for Best Hand
- Fans’ Choice for Fave Live Stream
The voting panel chose the initial lineup of contenders in each category.
The public can vote in this round through Monday, February 6 for the four categories listed below. Voting will close the night of the 6th at 11pm PT. People can vote one time per email address and IP address, and they must provide email addresses and names when voting. This is to prevent erroneous voting, and personal information will be deleted after the March 3 awards ceremony.
🌐♣️🏆 Global Poker Awards Fans Choice Voting Kicks Off
🔹 Best Hand
🔹 Best Trophy
🔹 People's choice for Poker Personality #GlobalPokerAwards
ℹ️ https://t.co/EQlqaPlc6b pic.twitter.com/mBQpvZMPz9
— Global Poker Index (@gpi) January 31, 2023
Fans’ Choice for Fave Trophy
This category determines the favorite poker trophy of fans around the world. There are nine trophies that made it to this first public voting round.
- European Poker Tour (EPT) Main Event
- A. Poker Classic (LAPC) Remington
- PokerGO Tour (PGT) Stairway to Millions
- Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open (SHRPO)
- Women’s Poker Association (WPA) Ladies in Poker
- World Poker Tour (WPT) Mike Sexton Champions Cup
- World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event bracelet
- Wynn Millions Main Event
The link for voting on this category is here, which includes pictures of each trophy for consideration.
Fans’ Choice for Fave Livestream
This is a new category this year, one that allows the public to choose the livestream they most enjoy watching. Now that many casinos and tournaments offer some form of livestreaming, poker fans around the world have been tuning in to see the action. Now, they can vote for their favorite one of the eight choices:
- King’s Casino
- EPT Live
- Poker at the Lodge
- Hustler Casino Live
- Live at the Bike
The page dedicated to voting in this category is here.
Fans’ Choice for Best Hand
It is difficult to choose a list of first-round candidates for the best poker hand of the year when that are a kabillion out there. But somehow, the panel reduced it to 10 available for public voting:
- Hustler Casino Live: Alan Keating wins biggest pot in US poker broadcast history
- PokerGO Super High Roller Bowl: Daniel Negreanu hits runner-runner quads
- WSOP Main Event: David Diaz lays down monster hand on Day 7
- Triton Poker Super High Roller Series Cyprus: Patrik Antonius hero call
- WSOP Main Event: Espen Jorstad and Adrian Attenborough heads-up hand
- High Stakes Poker: Negreanu folds better full house to Antonius
- WSOP Main Event: PapoMC pulls off monster bluff
- PokerGO US Poker Open: Phil Hellmuth all-in with Q4 against Alex Foxen’s 99
- Hustler Casino Live: Robbi Jade Lew controversial hand with J4 against Garrett Adelstein’s 89
- WPT Cash Game: YoH ViraL folds aces against kings on flop in 200K pot
There are clips of all of these hands on the Global Poker Awards voting page for this category here.
Fans’ Choice for Poker Personality
This category went public days ago and will also close on Monday, February 6. This is a write-in voting round, so it starts from scratch. There is a space on this page for everyone to write in their vote for the best poker personality in 2022.
This category is very open and can include people on social media, players, vloggers, podcasters, and nearly anyone else in the poker world. Previous winners were Masato Yokosawa, Jonathan Little, and Brad Owen.
🌐♣️🏆 2022 People’s Choice Award for Poker Personality Write-In Round Started – Voted by poker fans around the world
ℹ️ https://t.co/0dpOCuBaBA #GlobalPokerAwards pic.twitter.com/xy1yvHehJA
— Global Poker Index (@gpi) January 24, 2023
When all of these rounds close late on February 6, the good folks at the GPI will organize the votes and double-check the data. They will represent that top vote-getters in each category.
Those final four in each category will be publicized on Tuesday, February 7. Fans will then cast their final votes in all four categories from February 7 through February 13. The GPI will calculate the final votes and announce the winners – all the winners in all categories – on the night of the ceremony in early March.