Pennsylvania’s online poker market continues to be dominated by PokerStars PA, despite no longer enjoying an online poker monopoly in the state. BetMGM and Borgata, both running under the partypoker software, entered the PA market in late April, but PokerStars PA still came out on top, based on latest data from the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB).
PokerStars Held 87% of PA Market in May
Figures for May show PokerStars PA was able to retain majority of the Pennsylvania online poker market, holding an 87% share. This compares to BetMGM’s 10.5% share, with Borgata being the least performer grabbing just 2.5% of the market. The pair held a combined 13% share, coinciding with previous forecasts that both sites could grab at least 10% of the market in May.
PokerStars PA grossed $2.3 million for the month of May, representing a further drop in revenue since December of last year when the operator generated $2.7 million.
Meanwhile, BetMGM PA recorded $279,000 in revenue, with Borgata PA generating $67,000. The figures represent the pair’s first full month of operations in Pennsylvania. Their April revenue are considered preliminary as they only began operating in the state via a soft launch on April 28, followed by an official launch on April 30. On these three days, BetMGM and Borgata generated $20,000 and $7,000 respectively.
PA’s Overall Poker Revenue Continues to Drop
Pennsylvania opened its regulated online poker market in November 2019, with PokerStars PA becoming the first online poker operator to launch in the state. The site recorded its highest revenue of $5.3 million in April 2020, at the height of the COVID-19 lockdown. The momentum continued through to July 2020, before a continuing drop was recorded months after.
According to the latest data from the PGCB, overall poker revenue in the state suffered a 43.5% year-to-year decline. But that’s understandable, considering that pandemic-related restrictions have now been lifted and casinos and live poker rooms have also reopened in Pennsylvania and across the US. The rate could also stabilize soon, with the entrance of new operators.
New PA Online Poker Landscape
Pennsylvania’s online poker market is expected to achieve more growth as more new operators enter the market. It was earlier announced that WSOP.com will go live in the state most probably this summer, giving PA players expanded options to play and enjoy their favorite online poker games.
The highly-anticipated launch will be accompanied by the US rollout of 888poker’s new Poker 8 software. 888poker has been providing software support to WSOP.com sites since 2013 through a long-running partnership with Caesars Interactive Entertainment.
Back in May, 888 Holdings CEO Itai Pazner said that the launch of WSOP.com in both Pennsylvania and Michigan would remain their top priority this year, but he also confirmed that 888poker will also be building its own brand and will expand to more US states. This means that 888poker could also launch in Pennsylvania, though the company did not give an exact timeline.
Another online poker site which could establish its own operations in Pennsylvania is GGPoker, though it would still need to go through a lengthy process. Before it could operate in PA through its own brand, GGPoker would need to find a land-based partner. After that, it would need to apply for an Interactive Gaming Operator’s license through the PGCB, or it could allow its own platform to be utilized by an existing operator.
GGPoker’s parent company NSUS Group already acquired an Interactive Gaming Manufacturer license from the PGCB back in February, meaning it is authorized to offer its software for online poker or online casino in PA.
With these upcoming developments, it will come as no surprise if PA’s online poker landscape will significantly change for the rest of 2021. Whether or not PokerStars PA will still remain as the leading online poker site in the Keystone State remains to be seen, but what’s certain is that the PA market will continue to grow, with more exciting things in store for domestic players.

Tight Poker Staff

tight-poker-staff

Tight Poker Staff

Administrator
For nearly two decades, we’ve provided the best in class for poker site reviews, top online poker bonuses, strategy tips, poker news, and exclusive free poker content.  Consisting of a team of poker and gambling experts, we deliver the best online poker brand experience for players of all levels, from the fish to the sharks.
For nearly two decades, we’ve provided the best in class for poker site reviews, top online poker bonuses, strategy tips, poker news, and exclusive free poker content.  Consisting of a team of poker and gambling experts, we deliver the best online poker brand experience for players of all levels, from the fish to the sharks.